Selling our music online: my research so far
- On the CDBaby.com site the album gets its own profile page, we can set the price of the album/single song downloads, and for each sale made we get 75% of the purchase price paid and CD Baby gets 25%.
- For sales made on one of the other sites, like iTunes, the retail site sets the price and takes its cut of every purchase and then CD Baby keeps a 9% commission on the net income, returning the other 91% to us. So for example, with iTunes: for every $0.99 track sold, iTunes takes its $0.29, passes the $0.70 to CD Baby. CD Baby would then take its 9% cut, so in the end we’d get $0.63 per track.
As you sell on Bandcamp, we track your revenue share balance, and when a sale comes along that’s less than or equal to your balance, that sale goes to Bandcamp. Let’s look at an example. Say you’re at the 10% rate, and you sell an album for $10. All $10 of that sale goes straight to you, but your revenue share balance (the amount you owe Bandcamp) is now $1. Then you sell another album for $10. All $10 of that sale also goes straight to you, but your balance is now $2. You keep on selling $10 albums, and those sales keep on going to you. However, upon the sale of your tenth $10 album, your balance has reached $10, so that $10 sale, and only that sale, goes to Bandcamp (and your balance is then reset back to zero). You can view your balance at any time by exporting your sales history from the Sales section of your Tools page.